Former Internazionale striker Adriano has shown his 1.3m Instagram followers just how much of a fall? from grace he has suffered through depression, with a series of photos posted onto his account in recent days.
Serie A in the mid-2000s was at his mercy, and the rest of the world was at his feet. Adriano had become one of the most lethal strikers around Europe, and from a young age was quickly proving to everyone just how lethal his devastating finishing ability was.
Containing a mixture of Roberto Carlos’ left foot and Ronaldo’s destructive movement caused defenders to quake in their boots at the mere sight of Adriano, and the forward embodied power and tenacity – proving hugely popular with Inter fans.
However, it all came crashing down upon him following the death of Adriano’s father. His passing resulted in the promising striker to tumble into alcoholism, sending him into a void of depression – reminding the world that footballers are real people too.
“Only I know how much I suffered.” The forward said when opening up to R7 (via the Sun)
“The death of my father left a huge hole. I felt alone and I isolated myself when he died. I was sad and depressed in Italy, and that was when I started to drink.”
It resulted in Adriano moving back to Brazil in 2007 – never living up to his unbelievable potential. A decade later, he’s shown how much his life has changed; having previously been spotted holding an assault rifle in a favela in Rio.
????Adriano’s struggles are epitomised by the moving words from his former teammate, Javier Zanetti.
??If there is one saving grace, it’s that Adriano now finally seems to be at peace with everything he’s been through in the last ten years.
?Barcelona forward Paco Alcacer is reportedly of interest to Serie A pair Napoli and Inter Milan as they each consider strengthening their respective squads when the transfer window re-opens midway through the season in January.
Catalan publication Sport describe Alcacer as being ‘followed very closely’ by Napoli and Inter.
It is said that the 24-year-old, who scored only six La Liga goals last season following a high profile €30m move from Valencia, is not part of coach Ernesto Valverde’s plans.
He started the opening game of the season as a result of Luis Suarez’s enforced absence through injury, but was a second half substitute on matchday two and was unused last time out. Alcacer was then left out of the squad altogether against Juventus in midweek after a bout of flu.
With chances likely to be few and far between to play at Barça this season, Napoli and Inter are tipped to make their respective moves if he continues to be just a stand-in.
Alcacer isn’t expected to be a starter at either Napoli or Inter, but would offer strength in depth to both squads. He may also feel the path to a starting place is less difficult than at Camp Nou.
?Having hit a brick wall in their pursuit of Southampton defensive rock Virgil van Dijk in the summer transfer window, Liverpool are believed to be prepared to drop their interest in the defender and pursue a move for fellow Dutch international Stefan de Vrij. Reds boss Jürgen Klopp is believed to be eager to bolster his defensive line in January, with de Vrij a key target.
As reported by Italian football website Calciomercato, via the Mirror, the Reds will look to battle Serie A giants Juventus and Inter Milan in their pursuit of the highly-rated 25-year-old.
Juventus are looking to fill the void left by legendary Italian defender Leonardo Bonucci, who joined big-spending sleeping giants AC Milan in arguably the best coup of the summer transfer window.
The former Feyenoord star has enhanced his reputation considerably during his three year spell with I Biancocelesti, and Liverpool are believed to be prepared to give up their attempts to sign van Dijk as de Vrij represents a better value, and a more realistic prospect. The defensive worries of the Reds were highlighted in Tuesday night’s 2-2 Champions League draw with Sevilla.
” data-viewability-attr=”//www.riddle.com/a/126450″ style=””>
Liverpool are widely believed to be one of the best attacking forces in the Premier League, with the likes of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mané at the forefront of the side’s attacking endeavours in their clashes so far this season.
However, a shaky defence cannot be ignored, and Klopp will be determined to strengthen his central defence in the January window.
?Liverpool are believed to be hot on the trail of Fiorentina’s burgeoning young talent Federico Chiesa.
19-year-old Chiesa – the son of former Italian international Enricio Chiesa – has been lighting up Serie A with his displays for Viola so far this season, and has eight U-21 caps for Italy to his name already.
As reported by Italian football website Calciomercato, Liverpool will face stiff competition in their pursuit of the prodigious youngster, with Inter and Napoli believed to be hellbent on signing the versatile forward.
Fiorentina are well aware of the potential ability possessed by Chiesa, and are unlikely to accept any less than €40m for the player.
Liverpool would do well to tempt Chiesa in a move to the Premier League, given the glowing reputation he has earned thus far in Italy during the early stages in his career.
A move to Inter seems the most likely destination for the young forward, but Fiorentina boss Stefano Pioli will be desperate to keep the player with the club for as long as possible.
” data-viewability-attr=”//www.riddle.com/a/126454″ style=””>
Chiesa has shown himself to be a fast, versatile and skilful player during his early days at Fiorentina – being utilised as a winger, but with the ability to lead the line when required.
The forward shone in his side’s 5-0 away thrashing of Verona last weekend, proving a constant thorn in his opponents’ side, showcasing relentless pace and energy with dazzling forward runs.