The Black Cats boss is unhappy that the club’s plans to bring in new players have not come to fruition so far this summer
Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce might be continuously linked with the vacant England job, but he is more annoyed that he was unable to complete the signing of Inter Milan full-back Davide Santon.
It had been widely reported that the deal was done to bring the defender to the Stadium of Light before the club confirmed it was off, much to Allardyce’s disappointment.
“There’s no doubt that the one big thing I have to cover is striving hard every single day on the phone with all our recruitment people to find the right deal for the right player,” Allardyce told the Sunderland Echo.
“It was a huge disappointment for me that I was not able to clinch the Davide Santon deal, just a couple of days ago.
“We want to improve the squad with two, three or four players as quickly as we possibly can.”
Allardyce said the busy transfer period made it tricky to identify and sign players with so much competition.
Santon himself is now linked with a move to Crystal Palace.
“It’s been a huge demand trying to find those players, but we’ll continue that until we’re successful,” the Sunderland boss added.
“Hopefully fans will be a little bit patient.
“I have to admit myself that my patience is wearing thin, but we have to keep trying to bring in those three or four players as quickly as possible.”
Sam Allardyce’s side had reportedly agreed a fee of £4 million for the former Newcastle defender but have now confirmed the move is off after negotiations with Inter broke down
Sunderland have pulled out of a deal to sign Inter full-back Davide Santon, the Premier League club confirmed on Friday.
According to reports, Sunderland had agreed a fee of £4 million for the former Newcastle United man, but posted on their official website to confirm negotiations between the two clubs had come to an end.
The statement read: “Sunderland AFC will not be pursuing its interest in Inter Milan player Davide Santon, after negotiations between the two clubs failed to reach a positive conclusion.”
READ MORE | Chelsea a ‘dream’ for Giacccherini
Santon would have arrived boasting considerable experience for Sam Allardyce’s side, who only narrowly avoided relegation last season, however, the club now appears set to pursue other targets.
The 25-year-old Italian made 12 Serie A appearances for Inter last season as the Milan-based side finished fourth.
Javier Zanetti admitted he would consider a Nerazzurri comeback, but his compatriot and ex-team-mate asserted that Mancini still has the club’s backing after a tough season
Inter have no plans to replace Roberto Mancini with Diego Simeone, despite the Atletico Madrid coach’s desire to return to San Siro.
Simeone recently outlined his desire to return to the Nerazzurri as coach, having enjoyed a successful two-year spell at San Siro as a player.
The Argentine has transformed Atletico into title challengers in Spain and Europe since returning to the Vicente Calderon.
Nevertheless, Inter vice-president Zanetti has insisted Inter are still fully behind Mancini.
“I know that Simeone would like to coach Inter at some point,” Zanetti told RMC.
“But we already have Mancini, who is a great coach.”
Simeone won the UEFA Cup with Inter in 1997-98, but eventually left the Nerazzurri for Lazio in 1999.
He has been in charge of Atletico since December 2011, guiding them to titles in La Liga, the Copa del Rey, Supercopa de Espana, Europa League and UEFA Super Cup, as well as reaching two Champions League finals.
Davide Santon haven’t played a lot under Roberto Mancini and is likely to leave Inter on the summer. The question stays if he’d get more opportunity under Diego Simeone, he may not leave Inter. Odds that Simeone will actually join Inter after the final Champions League match are like winning on the New Bingo Sites, you never know.
The former Newcastle United full-back has been a regular for Roberto Mancini’s side this season, with the club currently joint-top of Serie A, along with Fiorentina
Davide Santon is unlikely to feature for Inter against Frosinone this weekend after suffering an Achilles injury, the club have confirmed.
The full-back has been a regular for Roberto Mancini’s side this season as they have climbed to the top of Serie A – where they sit level with Fiorentina on 27 points from 12 games.
Santon has started nine of those matches, but looks set for a period of rehabilitation after a scan on Tuesday revealed a slight problem with his heel.
“Davide #Santon undergoes ultrasound scan that reveals a small haematoma in his right Achilles tendon,” the club announced on Twitter. “More tests to come in following days.”
Inter welcome Frosinone to San Siro on Saturday looking to record a fourth successive league win, while Fiorentina host Empoli.
Roberto Mancini’s charges have made an excellent start to the new Serie A campaign, and the former Newcastle player values points rather than attractive play
Davide Santon admits Inter have by no means been playing eye-catching football, but insists results are all that count.
Roberto Mancini’s men won their opening five Serie A fixtures in 2015-16 and sit second in the table with 16 points from seven games.
Inter will be looking to add three more points to their tally on Sunday when they take on reigning champions Juventus and Santon is optimistic about his side’s chances of success this season.
“We might not be playing stunning football at the moment but we’re getting results. Long may it continue,” Santon told the Inter website.
“We have a very long season ahead of us. We got off to a good start.
“I’m confident and I think Inter can have an excellent season.”
Santon returned to San Siro in January 2015 after a three-and-a-half-year spell with Newcastle United and is delighted to be back at the club where he rose to prominence.
“The Inter shirt means everything to me. I’ve always respected these colours and I always will,” he added.
“I’ve learnt to love this jersey and honour it seeing all the star players who have worn it before.”